Sometimes, you might encounter "Waiting for decryption" or "Please open BrightChat on your phone to view encrypted messages" in place of a message you sent or received. This indicates that your sent or received message is awaiting decryption. Try opening your BrightChat mobile app to initiate the decryption process on your phone before the message appears on your desktop app.
Due to end-to-end encryption, which safeguards the privacy of your communications, certain messages may need decryption into a readable format before they appear. This process involves exchanging specific keys between users/devices. Decryption is handled by the recipient's device using a key established at both ends.
This can occur:
If you or the person you're chatting with recently reinstalled the app, which may cause the encryption keys not to match.
If you receive newly created groups and messages inside them while your phone is not active.
If either you or the person you're chatting with is using an older version.
Additionally, this may happen for messages sent a long time ago when the sending user may not have been connected to the Internet for some time.
To speed up the resolution and decryption process, follow these steps:
- Open the BrightChat app on your phone.
- Ask the person you're messaging to open BrightChat on their phone.
- Send each other a few messages while both parties have their BrightChat apps open.
- Ensure that both of you are using the latest version of BrightChat.
- Confirm that you have enabled notification permissions for BrightChat.
- Confirm that you have turned on BrightChat notifications in Settings > Notifications.